Wednesday, September 8, 2010

PPQ- Excepts from Bio

He was given to repetition, and it was with difficulty that he could be induced to have a repeated sentence or word stricken out, as he would say, "If that idea is a good one and true, it will do no harm to have it in two or three times." He believed in the "hammering process" and of throwing an idea or truth at the reader till it would be finally firmly fixed in his mind.

The first article he wrote was entitled, "Mind is Spiritual Matter," and he thus explains what he means: He says: "I found that I could change the mind of my patient, and produce thereby a chemical change in the body.... The world makes mind intelligence. I put no intelligence in it, but make it subject to intelligence.... I call the power that governs the mind, spirit, in this piece, not using the word wisdom; but you will see that I recognize a wisdom superior to the word mind, for I always apply the word mind to matter, but never to the first cause."

In a circular to the sick, which he distributed while in Portland, he says that, "as my practice is unlike all other medical practice, it is necessary to say that I give no medicines and make no outward applications, but simply sit by the patient, tell him what he thinks is his disease, and my explanation is the cure. And if I succeed in correcting his errors, I change the fluids of the system, and establish the truth, or health. 'The Truth is the cure.'"

In an article over his own signature, published in the Portland Advertiser of February 13, 1862, he says:
"As you have given me the privilege of answering the article in your paper of the 11th inst., wherein you classed me with spiritualists, mesmerizers, clairvoyants, etc., I take this occasion to state where I differ from all classes of doctors, from the allopathic physician to the healing medium. All of these admit disease as an independent enemy of mankind.... Now I deny disease as a truth, but admit it as a deception, without any foundation, handed down from generation to generation, till the people believe it, and it has become a part of their lives.... My way of curing convinces him that he has been deceived; and, if I succeed the patient is cured. My mode is entirely original."
http://www.phineasquimby.com/biography.html

No comments:

Post a Comment